How would you like us to improve your product?

Indicator needed when long complex processes like Formula UDF recalculation are occurring

For a client, I created a very complex Formula UDF with a numeric output from 0 to 4:

Formula UDF1:

(if (Year ([Date UDF 1]) == 2018, 1, 0)) + (if (Year ([Date UDF 2]) == 2018, 1, 0)) + (if (Year ([Date UDF 3]) == 2018, 1, 0)) + (if (Year ([Date UDF 4]) == 2018, 1, 0))

In order to create a Dashboard Indicator, I then created a Catalog Search for it: Formula UDF1 = 1 to 9999

When I went to create the Indicator, the Catalog Search wasn't in the list of available searches! I tried a couple of times, and it didn't work!

I moved on to other Dashboard Indicators, then called support at the end of the day.

I went through the whole process, with the Support Analyst taking screen shots along the way (Case HQ-209329). I was very embarrassed when the Catalog Search showed up!

The next day, I was creating another very complex Formula UDF for another Dashboard Indicator:

(if (Len ([Alpha UDF 1]) == 0, 0, 1)) + (if (Len ([Alpha UDF 2]) == 0, 0, 1)) + (if (Len ([Alpha UDF 3]) == 0, 0, 1)) + (if (Len ([Alpha UDF 4]) == 0, 0, 1)) + (if (Len ([Alpha UDF 5]) == 0, 0, 1))

The same thing happened: the Catalog Search didn't show up when creating the Dashboard Indicator! I looked at the test records with values and those values were there.

I created a couple more Dashboard Indicators, then went back to the one above. It was then in the list!

So it seems that it takes about half an hour to run all the way through a large Max DB and recalculate a new complex formula UDF.

Other processes like global edits that take a long time to complete have processing indicators, can an indicator be added to any process (like formula UDF recalculations) that can take a very long time to complete?

Thanks very much,

John

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon